8 Super Healthy Foods That Are Dangerous When Taken Too Much

Tuna

Tuna is a fish, a fatty fish. Aside from being extremely delicious, it’s super healthy. Tuna is a fatty fish that is usually considered to be very healthy. It is a good source of Omega-3 and protein.

The bad news, however, is tuna may also contain high levels of an environmental pollutant called methylmercury (especially those caught in the Pacific Ocean).

Methylmercury is a neurological toxin if taken in higher levels. It can pose adverse effects like developmental delays in children, and affect neuropsychological dysfunctions like vision problems, lack of coordination and impaired hearing and speech.

The larger the tuna, the more mercury it has. Larger tunas are usually served as steak, sushi, or sold in the wet market. Smaller tunas are usually canned.

There are two main types of canned tuna, and their mercury content differs:

  • White tuna: Light in color and usually comes from albacore fish. White tuna contains 4–5 times the amount of mercury found in light tuna.
  • Light tuna: Light tuna contains much less mercury than white tuna. It is darker in color and usually doesn’t come from albacore fish.

The upper safety limit of methylmercury for humans is 0.1 micrograms per kilogram of body weight. Meaning, a 25 kg (55 lb) child could only eat one 75 g (2.6 oz) serving of canned, white tuna every 19 days. So, limit intake of seafood containing mercury to no more than two times per week.
There are several other types of fish that are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, but less likely to be contaminated with mercury. These include salmon, mackerel, sardines and trout.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Special Offer for YOU!!